Technical Requirements and Safety Features
Motorised bicycles that meet the following requirements will be treated like conventional bicycles and exempted from registration with LTA:
- The construction of a motorised bicycle must be similar to that of a conventional bicycle;
- The motorised bicycle can only be powered by an electric source;
- The maximum power output of the motorised bicycle must not exceed 200 watts;
- The motor power of the motorised bicycle can only cut in when the rider starts to pedal; and
- The motor power of the motorised bicycle must be cut off when it reaches 25km/h or when the rider stops pedalling.
Type Approval and Certification Scheme
To ensure that the motorised bicycles sold in the market meet the approved technical requirements, LTA will also introduce a type approval scheme for motorised bicycles from 1 October 2004.
For safety reasons, TP will require all riders of motorised bicycles to be at least 16 years old and they must wear a bicycle helmet when riding the motorised bicycle. These new requirements will take effect from 1 January 2005.
Road Traffic Act
Please note that it would be an offence under the Road Traffic Act for any person to sell or ride motorised bicycles on public roads that do not comply with the above requirements.
For more information on the technical requirements, please call 1800-CALL LTA (1800-2255 582).
For more information on the rider requirements, please call 6547 0000 or visit www.spf.gov.sg